NEWS RELEASE DETAILS
DATE/TIME: Monday, November 29th, 2004 / 04:15 PM
The Schenectady Police Department is warning the public – especially the elderly – to be aware of scam artists going door-to-door soliciting home improvement work. The Department has received reports of residents being victimized by repair persons who did shoddy or unnecessary work.
People should do the following to help avoid becoming a scam victim:
* Beware of repair persons who come to your door unsolicited.
* You should be suspicious of repair persons who advise you that they have found a serious problem, state that a repair offer is good only for that particular day, demand that payment be made in cash, or refuse to provide references.
* Call the police if you believe someone is trying to scam you, or pressure you into paying for repairs that you do not want or need.
Other precautions to take to help prevent becoming a crime victim at home:
* Always keep all of your doors locked, even when you’re home.
* Look to see who is at your door before opening it and never allow strangers into your house.
Citizens should be aware of the happenings in their neighborhood and to look out for their elderly neighbors. Suspicious behavior or activity should be immediately reported to the police.