NEWS RELEASE DETAILS
DATE/TIME: Monday, January 14th, 2008 / 12:00 PM
SUBJECT:MAYOR TO SWEAR-IN 10 NEW POLICE RECRUITS
Mayor Brian U. Stratton is pleased to announce the hiring of 10 new police officers, and will introduce them in a swearing-in ceremony on Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 at 11 a.m. in the rotunda of City Hall.
Eight of the officers will enter the Zone 5 Law Enforcement Training Academy on Wednesday, January 16th, 2008 for 6 months of basic training, followed by 12 weeks of Department supervised field training. Two other officers will immediately commence modified field training as they previously fulfilled their New York State Basic Training requirement with New York City Police Department.
The 10 new appointments will increase the Departmentís staffing level to 164.
The new officers are:
* Sean Donovan, 31, of Rotterdam. Donovan comes to the Schenectady Police Department after being employed as a Police Officer for 3 years with the New York City Police Department.
* Samuel Gonzalez, 25, of Yonkers. Gonzales comes to the Schenectady Police Department after being employed as a Police Officer for 2 years with the New York City Police Department. Gonzales is original from Fonda, NY.
* Christopher Haigh, 23, of Rotterdam. Haigh graduated with honors from Schenectady County Community College in 2005 and had been employed as a Loss Prevention Officer for JC Penny.
* Jonathan Haigh, 21, of Rotterdam. Haigh is a 2007 graduate of Schenectady County Community College and had been a security officer for Macyís. Jonathan Haigh is also the younger brother of Christopher Haigh, making it the first time in Department history that two brothers were hired in the same class.
* Gordon Iwan, 30, of Scotia. Iwan has attended the College of the United States Air Force and had been working as an Aircraft Mechanic.
* Jeffery McCutcheon, 29, of Schenectady. McCutcheon is a 2002 graduate of Schenectady County Community College and had been a Security Police Officer with Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory.
* Jonathan Moore, 26, of Saratoga Springs. Moore is a 2003 graduate of Clarkson University and had been a Public Safety Dispatcher with the Saratoga Springs Police Department.
* Adam Nowicki, 24, of Cohoes. Nowicki is a 2006 graduated from Buffalo State College and had been a New York State Corrections Officer.
* Michael Pommer, 23, of Schenectady. Pommer has attended Hudson Valley and Schenectady County Community Colleges and had been employed by Time Warner Cable. Pommer had also served in active duty combat with the United States Marines.
* Jennifer Shewczyk, 22, of Watervliet. Shewczyk is a 2007 graduate of SUNY Albany and holds a Bachelorís Degree in Criminal Justice Administration and Public Policy. Shewczyk had been working as a restaurant manager.