NEWS RELEASE DETAILS
DATE/TIME: Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 / 02:26 PM
SUBJECT:TRAFFIC ADVISORY FOR SATURDAY'S DOWNTOWN HOLIDAY PARADE
Please advise the public that extensive traffic restrictions will be in effect in downtown Schenectady due to the annual Holiday Parade this Saturday afternoon and evening, November 22nd.
The parade is scheduled to start from the State Street/Liberty Street intersection at 5:00 PM and will proceed west on State St to the Schenectady County Community College entrance at State St and Washington Ave. It is expected to conclude at approximately 8:00 PM. Motorists traveling in the City of Schenectady on Saturday that are not attending the parade should avoid the downtown area during the affected hours.
The following exit ramps will be CLOSED from 3:00 p.m. until the parade ends:
• I-890 Westbound Washington Ave exit ramp 4C
• Rice Rd Eastbound Washington Ave exit ramp
The following streets will be CLOSED from 4:00 p.m. until the parade ends:
• State Street (from Washington Ave to Nott Terrace)
• Erie Boulevard (between State St and Union St)
• Lafayette Street (from Union to State)
• Broadway (from Hamilton Street to Liberty Street)
• Franklin Street (from Nott Terrace to Jay Street)
• Liberty Street (from Nott Terrace to Clinton Street)
• Clinton Street (from Smith Street to State Street)
• Church St (from Argyle Place to Liberty St)
• Westbound lanes of the Western Gateway Bridge
Drivers should keep in mind that streets intersecting those listed will also be affected.
In addition to the road closures, temporary parking restrictions will be in effect on the following downtown streets. The affected streets will be posted “No Parking Tow Away Zone” from 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Motorists disregarding the temporary parking restrictions will have their cars ticketed and towed.
• Broadway- Hamilton St to Ten Eyck Apartmnets (East side)
• State St- Washington Ave to Nott Terrace (both sides)
• Erie Boulevard- Erie St to State St (both sides)
• Liberty St- Jay St to Nott Terrace (both sides)
• Lafayette St- Union St to State St (both sides)
• Franklin St- Nott Terrace to Jay St (both sides)
• Barrett St- State to Franklin (both sides)
• Railroad St - Argyle St to State St (both sides)
• Church St- Argyle St to State St (both sides)
Motorists are warned that circumstances may dictate additional streets other than those listed may require temporary restrictions/postings. Motorists should take extra care when parking to be observant of the parking restrictions/postings.